What is NORSI?
NORSI is the Nordic research school for PhD students in the Nordic countries within the research fields of innovation and entreprenurship. Doctoral students within innovation and entrepreneural studies enroll to take academic courses offered by NORSI and its partner institutions. NORSI is also an active network in the innovation and entrepreneurship research communities.
NORSI is funded by all partner institutions and is also granted funding until 2024 from the Norwegian Research Council and the Kamprad Family Foundation for Entrepreneurship, Research & Charity.
Primary objectives NORSI 2021-2024
1) NORSI will provide a world-class PhD traning program within innovation
and entrepreneurship research, thus enhancing the quality of PhD education in the Nordic area.
2) NORSI will strengthen the Nordic connections in the innovation and
entrepreneurship research community.
3) Strenghten international orientation among PhD candidates by providing
access to an international research arena with world leading researchers
within the field of innovation and entrepreneurship
Read more about key impacts and added value for students, faculty and institutions that are part of NORSI here.
Flexible Program: Doctoral students enroll to take courses as an integral part of their doctoral studies either from the beginning of their studies or later in their doctoral research. NORSI is a flexible and complimentary doctoral program developed to fit students’ individual research progress and course requirements at their “home” institutions.
Doctoral Courses: The NORSI course portfolio covers innovation and entrepreneurship research ranging from a management and firm perspective to a broader systems approach, and seeks to understand the process of innovation and its relation to economic growth by specializing in innovation systems, policies, globalization of innovation, entrepreneurship, social changes of innovation, and sustainability transitions.
Partner Institutions and Network: NORSI is a networked based research school that consist of 24 partner institutions:
1. Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Project owner/host
2. BI Norwegian Business School (BI), Coordinator/Co-host
3. Inland Norway University of Applied Sciences (INN)
4. Nord University (NORD)
5. Norwegian School of Economics (NHH)
6. UiT – The Arctic University (UiT)
7. University of Agder (UiA)
8. University of Oslo – TIK (UiO-TIK)
9. University of Stavanger (UiS)
10. Western Norway University of Applied Sciences (HVL)
11. Circle, Lund University (CIRCLE)
12. Chalmers University of Technology
13. Halmstad University College – CIEL
14. Jönköping University – Jönköping International Business School (JIBS)
15. Linköping University
16. Stockholm School of Entrepreneurship (SSES)
17. Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) Through SSES
18. Stockholm School of Economics Through SSES
19. Luleå University of Technology
20. Blekinge Institute of Technology
21. University of Gothenburg – GOT KIES
22. University of Iceland, Reykjavík
23. Aalborg University
24. LUT (Lappeeranta university)
NORSI has a Management Team and a Board of Directors where all partner institutions are represented.
Renowned Course Faculty: The teaching faculty are all leading scholars and professors within the innovation and entrepreneurship research field. They contribute internationally by publishing in, and serving on editorial boards of leading research journals and are all employed by leading academic institutions.
Course Faculty includes (among others): Mats Alvesson, Lund University (CIRCLE); Martin Andersson, Lund University (CIRCLE); Gry Agnete Alsos, Nord Uni.; Bjørn T. Asheim, University of Stavanger; Heidi Wiig, BI Norwegian Business School; Pierre-Alexandre Balland, University of Utrecht; Ron Boschma, University of Utrecht; Sara Carter, Strathclyde University, Scotland; Fulvio Castellacci, University of Oslo – TIC; Tommy Høyvarde Clausen, Nord Uni.; Lars Coenen, Lund University (CIRCLE); Åsa Lindholm Dahlstrand, Lund University (CIRCLE); Andrew Davies, University College London; Charles Edquist, Lund University (CIRCLE); Olof Ejermo, Lund University (CIRCLE); Jan Fagerberg, University of Oslo -TIC; Rune Dahl Fitjar,University of Stavanger; Lene Foss,University of the Arctic – UiT; Nicolai J.Foss, Bacconi Uni.; Christoph Grimpe,Copenhagen Business School; Magnus Gulbrandsen, University of Oslo – TIC; Sverre Herstad, Lillehammer University College; Håkan Håkansson, BI Norwegian Business School; Arne Isaksen, University of Agder; Espen John Isaksen, Nord Uni.,Trine Kvidal,University of Tromsø; Hans Landstrøm, Lund University (CIRCLE); Keld Laursen, Copenhagen Business School; William Lazonick,University of Massachusetts; Ed Lorenz,University of Nice -Sophia Antipolis; Bengt-Åke Lundvall, Aalborg University;Ben Martin, University of Sussex, UK; Jerker Moodysson, Lund University (CIRCLE); Andrea Morrison,University of Utrecht; David Mowery,Haas School of Business, University of California – Berkely;Rajneesh Narula, University of Reading; Walter W. Powell, Stanford University; Andres Rodriguez-Pose,London School of Economics; Martin Rønningen, Lillehammer University College; Torben Schubert,Lund University (CIRCLE); Keith Smith, Imperial College Business School,UK; Knut Sogner,BI Norwegian Business School; Olav Spilling, NIFU; Jonas Söderlund, BI Norwegian Business School; Roger Sørheim, NTNU; Bart Verspagen,UNU-MERIT; Paul Westhead,Durham University,UK; and Johan Wiklund, Syracuse University.
Organization: NORSI is hosted by the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), and co-hosted by BI Norwegian Business School. The Research Council of Norway and the memer institutions funds NORSI.
Download NORSI Flyer
What does NORSI give our member students?
- High-quality academic courses within entrepreneurship an innovation research
- A flexible program intended to strengthen your knowledge of innovation-based research
- An opportunity to be an integral part of a research network
- Lectures by leading international scholars
- Timely information about NORSI courses and research
- The opportunity to develop a strong network among other NORSI students and meet NORSI faculty